November 24, 2008

Arbitrary Things

Eek. Tagged again.

  1. Link to the person who tagged you.
  2. Post the rules on your blog.
  3. Write six random arbitrary things about yourself.
  4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
  5. Let each person know they’ve been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
  6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Thing One
I was, quite literally, a poster child. Back in the days when in-home daycare was a radical choice, my mother was involved in promoting it. Pictures of me as a very smiley, very blond two-year-old were used to show how happy children in daycare really were.

Thing Two
I have discovered, through a certain amount of experimentation, that overly sweet candies can be much improved by roasting them over a fire. Circus peanuts and peeps are particularly good examples.

Thing Three
I've never had a driver's license. I can drive a manual transmission and downshift around a corner, but I've never taken the test. There is no good reason for this.

Thing Four
My laugh is preserved for posterity. Neil Gaiman recorded material for his spoken-word album, Warning: Contains Language in front of several live audiences. Most of what made it onto the album was recorded in a studio, but "Chivalry" is the live version. That very loud, very distinctive laugh that's just a little early? That's me.

Thing Five
My music collection contains fairly complete discographies of a number of eighties "one-hit" wonders: Soft Cell, Men Without Hats, Thomas Dolby, Falco, Kate Bush, Yaz/Alison Moyet, Dead or Alive, Simple Minds, Madness.

Thing Six
I was in a play about seventeen years ago that the playwright came to see. It took me until this summer to ask the director, "So, did he actually like it, or was he just being polite?" Yeah. I still get stage fright too.

You may have noticed that I'm not very good at following rules. No this is not one of the arbitrary things (it's fundamental), but an explanation of why I'm only doing two-thirds of the list. If you want to consider yourself tagged, I'd love to hear more about you, but I'm not passing this one on otherwise.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost hate to meme, because of the tagging part, but thanks for playing along.

Glendon Mellow said...

Soft Cell rulez.

Anonymous said...

Acl.... uggh... errrtggh... ack....

... THWUMP

(That was the sound of a meme dropping dead.)

Stephanie Zvan said...

I don't mind memes at all. It's just that I've seen this one most of the places I'd have sent it.

Not only does Soft Cell rule, Glendon, The Grid and much of Marc Almond's solo work rule too. You know there was a new Soft Cell album released just a few years ago, yes?