February 19, 2011

Saturday Storytime: Moonlighting

I occasionally link to free short fiction from this blog. I think it's time to start doing it in a more organized fashion. Welcome to the inaugural edition of Saturday Storytime. Today's author is my friend Doug Hulick, with his short story, "Moonlighting." An excerpt:

Ayshin cleared his throat as he placed both of his hands on the table. "We are alone and unheard?"

I nodded. "Of course, my lord. None shall know what takes place here."

He relaxed somewhat, his broad shoulders sagging with relief. Still, I noticed that his fingers picked nervously at the multi-colored cloth that covered the table.

"Excellent. I am about to undertake an important venture. I would like to know if the signs of the heavens are favorable."

I chuckled inside the shadow of my hood. "And the nature of this venture?"

"I cannot say."

"But it does involve another's death."

Ayshin sat up straight, his face pale. "Yes."

It was fortunate that my face was in shadow, for if noble Lord Ayshin had seen my expression at that moment, he would have surely fled. That would not have been desirable.

"Very well. I will read the ether for death."

Keep reading.

While you're reading Doug's work, check out the excerpt from his forthcoming novel, Among Thieves, as well. If you like that, you have a couple more days to try to win a copy from Library Thing.

4 comments:

Juniper Shoemaker said...

Do you ever publish any of your short stories in magazines?

Jodi said...

This was a great story! Can't wait for next week :)

Stephanie Zvan said...

Glad you liked it, Jodi.

Juniper, I have a limited tolerance for beating my head on that particular wall. It's not very good for me. That said, I do have something I need to revisit. You'll definitely hear about it if it works out.

Juniper Shoemaker said...

Thank you. I do hope it works out.