July 17, 2009

Atheists in Love

I turned back to the conversation between PZ and the very earnest young man sitting across from me. He had come to atheism relatively recently and with great relief, and he wanted to give something back. He was shy, though, and diffident, and didn't know what he could do to help. He asked PZ.

Now, I'm not a big talker. It takes some wind up for me to get to the point of even opening my mouth. However, this time, I interrupted before PZ could answer.

"Be happy."

He looked confused.

"One of the best things you can do to promote a positive view of atheism is to live a happy, healthy life as an out atheist."

More at Quiche Moraine.

2 comments:

ERV said...

Yup.

I am *obnoxiously* happy irl. Love my family. Love my job. Im smiling all the time.

YECs Ive encountered (and IDCs) have found it disarming. Which also makes me happy. :D

Stephanie Zvan said...

For a second, I thought you were leaving Arnie out. Then I realized you'd said, "family." :)