December 03, 2008

5:56

Peggy tagged me with the new 5-56 meme. It combines an existing meme (fifth sentence on page 56) with a guessing game.

- You can pick and choose the books to find the most interesting sentences.
- At least five of the books should be fiction.
- Try not to use books that are so obscure no one could guess what they are.
- You can give hints, if you so desire.
- Tag some other bloggers to pass the meme along.

I don't know how much good this information does as hints, but here goes. All are fiction. I went with writers I've met and at least chatted with, so as I write this, I'm not sure how interesting the sentences will be. Most of the authors don't live in Minnesota. There are fourteen authors for the ten books, but only thirteen are listed on the covers. Of course, one of those is a pen name, so the question of who is actually credited is, well, complicated.

1. The worst were one her arms; the biggest burn, under her chin, was the size of her palm.

2. Though I preferred to think of it as vengeance.

3. She drank too much and invited the forge's handsome foreman to her new bed.

4. Can't he find satisfaction interfering in the lives of his parishioners and browbeating them to feel obliged to invite him to dinner?

5. I wince as he probes around the edge of the prosthetic arm, feeling the scarring.

6. Steep-roofed old townhouses still lined its narrow streets, but bits of their elaborate stonework had given way to the elements and bits had been stolen to replace other bits.

7. Bella slid the score gently across the table toward me.

8. 'You could have asked me to stay the night,' she said, in her cold-stone voice.

9. Gringras was sitting on the fire escape above her, his legs dangling down.

10. I lay on my side facing away from her, my hands clutching my injury.

I tag Mme. Piggy, Greg, Lou and anyone who recognizes one of their books above.

3 comments:

Mme Piggy said...

I recognize none of your quotes, Diamond Girl. But, I'm game. Look for mine tomorrow. I will be using poetry as well.

As a side note, I agree with a much earlier writing you did about preferring the flawed, startling look of a colored gem over the Kay Jeweler diamond wedding band. I myself have a 1940s cocktail ring of garnets as my wedding band that we paid $300 for and that fit my finger perfectly. Much better than going into debt over a dubious diamond, but I digress....

Anonymous said...

Not even googling can get me out of this one. ...

Lou FCD said...

I done did it

As for yours, 7 and 8 sound vaguely familiar to me, though I can't place them and it may not be the most accurate of memories here.