December 09, 2008

Too Pissed to Talk

Dixon said he was denied at least $16,000 in benefits before he fought the Pentagon and won a reversal of his noncombat-related designation.

"I was blown up twice in Iraq, and my injuries weren't combat-related?" Dixon said. "It's the most imbecile thing I've ever seen."

Meshell, who is appealing her status, estimates she is losing at least $1,200 a month in benefits. Despite being injured in a combat zone during an enemy mortar attack, she said, her wounds would be considered combat-related only if she had been struck by shrapnel.


--Injured veterans engaged in new combat, LA Times

2 comments:

Philip H. said...

Are you really that surprised?

Stephanie Zvan said...

Phil, I'm not nearly as surprised as I'd like to be. Doesn't make me any less pissed, though.