February 03, 2009

Blogroll Amnesty Day

Because, really, who can resist an internet-only holiday? The idea is simple:

Celebrating Blogroll Amnesty Day is easy. You don't have to put up a tree or a poll or buy candy or flowers, wrap presents or risk your life playing with dangerous fireworks. All you have to do is link to some smaller blogs that you like or celebrate the idea of linking or blogrolling in any way you see fit.


Fireworks would be cool, but whatever. In their place, here are five blogs that are worth checking out.

If you read the comments around here, you've seen Betül before. You should also be reading her blog, Counter Minds. My only complaint about the blog is that she really hasn't talked about her research, but I guess I can understand that the last thing you'd want to do after working on your dissertation is blog on the topic. Instead, she gives us a hard look at censorship in her home country of Turkey, a good dose of rationality, and plenty of whimsy.

Another blog buddy of mine who I finally got to meet a couple of weeks ago is Lou, FCD, who blogs at Crowded Head, Cozy Bed. He has another blog that doesn't need any amnesty from me, but I'm enjoying this one too. Politics, snark, writing, sex, science...what's not to like?

Unfortunately, I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting Juniper Shoemaker of My Fair Scientist. If I get the opportunity, you better believe I'm going to take it, though. Even if Juniper is half as cool and thoughtful and brave as her writing (and I suspect it's way more than half), she's a hell of a person.

Sadly, I'm unlikely to meet Felicia Gilljam of Life Before Death anytime soon, since she lives in Sweden. For now, I'll just have keeping enjoying her posts on science and atheism--and bees, lots of bees. It's a hardship, I know.

The last blog on today's list is the newest, but I've known its writer the longest. I first met Ben Rouner when he was an angsty teenage musician. He's ditched his teens long ago and the angst more recently, but he's still making music and writing about it at Satellite Noise.

I hope y'all check out these blogs and enjoy them as much as I do. Happy Blogroll Amnesty Day!

10 comments:

Lou FCD said...

Thanks for the link love, Steph!

Anonymous said...

I'd say "never say never", but since you didn't actually SAY never, that'd be a bit silly. Who knows but that we'll meet someday!

Thanks for the mention :)

Stephanie Zvan said...

Of course, Lou! (Nice picture, by the way.)

Felicia, I will certainly keep my eyes open for an opportunity. Maybe you should come to ScienceOnline next year. Always good to expand the international diversity.

Anonymous said...

Going to ScienceOnline would be brilliant - now I just gotta find the money. ;)

Betül said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog, Stephanie. You added the word "whimsy" to my dictionary as of now :)

I will, really, sometime, write about my research. :) It is really odd that I am staying away from it and you made me realize that. I am actually writing my first research paper these days, does it count :) yey!

Stephanie Zvan said...

Felicia, good luck. I hope you manage it.

Betül, I'm really looking forward to that, but seriously, I don't expect it while you're having to write about it more formally.

Juniper Shoemaker said...

We should definitely meet in person! If there's any chance of it. You are definitely a blogger I'd love to meet.

A belated thank-you for the link-love. I'm stunned and honored that you think I'm worth granting blogroll amnesty to. :)

Stephanie Zvan said...

Juniper, I'll grant you honored (because it tickles me so), but you've got to get over the stunned. You write well, and you're saying things that not everyone else is.

In other words, you're good. Deal. :)

Ben said...

Just recently noticed the shout-out. Thanks! The fact that there's so little content in my little corner of the blogosphere sort of forced me to write about my inability to produce any content. Strange times.

Stephanie Zvan said...

Ben, I'd just assumed you'd slept through the week. :) Sara would like to know, however, why she found out you were blogging by reading my blog.