April 17, 2009

A Letter to the Kid

The other adults in your life aren't blameless either. We've all let you down, including me. Sometimes we've let our own lives distract us. Sometimes we've let ourselves get worn down by the battles necessary to get permission to participate in your life as much as we want to. Sometimes we've let you make us angry despite knowing that was what you were trying to do, or held your behavior to standards we haven't taught you to meet. Sometimes we've just forgotten that your life has taught you to hide your feelings, and we haven't worked hard enough to find out what you were keeping hidden.

I'm sorry for all of that. I would change it if I could. I can't. All I can do is tell you this: I've been there (which we’ll talk about when you can ask all the nosy questions you want), and it only gets better.

It's Friday, which means I've got a new post up at Quiche Moraine. This one's a little different. Somebody very dear to me is in trouble, and there are things she needs to hear, or at least things I need to say. I'm saying them publicly because there are almost certainly others out there who need to hear at least some of the same things.

1 comment:

DuWayne Brayton said...

Thanks for posting it...